Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Package Deal


So I thought I'd share with you some thoughts about my daily weekly bi weekly (keep it realz), bible reading of the book of John.  Saturday I read John 12:37-43 concerning people not believing in Jesus.  I wondered 'What is it that they do not believe in?'  As I read on, I came across this verse:

Jesus said: "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me" 
John 12:44

Hmm, so the peole essentially do not believe that He is the Son of God, thus nor do they believe in the One who sent Him---God.
This got me to thinking about how people may say with their mouths they believe in God, BUT--as the verse clearly implies--- if they don't accept Jesus it is also a rejection of God. 
The truth of this understanding echoed even louder during a conversation with a customer at my part time gig yesterday.  It all started when she commented that these dog-like creatures (Komainu) she was purchasing were intended to ward off evil spirits.  This led to an explanation of her decorating her home with Buddhist symbols, which prompted my question of whether or not she practiced Buddhism? Here are some higlights from our conversation (not in any particular order):

Customer: We're not practicing Buddhists, but we try to live by those principles.
Customer: I was actually raised Baptist.
Me: Really? Well what got you interested in Buddhism?
Customer: My husband has such a free spirit. I just feel that if you do good to others it will come back to you.
Me: Yep, Christian scripture says, you reap what you sew and to love your neighbor as yourself...
Customer: I still read some Bible scriptures when I'm going through tough times.  
Customer: Even though I live by Buddhist principles, when I pray, it's still to God....
Me: Well, although you draw from many religions as you may recall, from your Baptist upbringing, the Christian belief says there is only one way to God--I am the way the truth and the life...
Customer: I feel that if you find something that works for you then stick with it. I don't judge others for having different beliefs than mine
Me: Nor do I... :)


What I didn't get to tell the customer explicitly is that the Father and the Son are a package deal.  They belong together like peanut butter and jelly and then some!  The two are one (John 10:30) and can never be separated.  This understanding requires us all to check our faith.  Having no double talk. Having no partial beliefs.  
Who do you know that says "yes" to God but "no" to Jesus?  Be on the look out, and share John 12:44 with them.

*P.S. I have been praying for this customer to be become reconnected with the Truth and to have no other gods before Thee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment