Friday, January 25, 2013

Word for 2013: Fearless


For as long as I can remember I've always been afraid of something.  The dark, horror movies, flying over ocean waters, and public speaking are just a few things I have a fear of.  Growing up I never really gave much thought to my fears. Never wondered why they were there and never tried to overcome them---I only tried to avoid them.  Of course avoidance is just an act of buying time.  It doesn't cure anything but instead provides a temporary sense of relief that another fearful experience has been dodged. 

Well this just isn't good enough for a child of God. 

From studying scriptures I've found that fear is spiritual and it is NOT from God. 
"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 
2 Timothy 1:7 KJV

Unlike my younger years, today I consider the effects of fear in my life and I see it as a crazy debilitating state to be in.  I realize that Fear lives in the same neighborhood as Worry, and Worry is actually next door neighbors to Doubt, and they both happen to live on Confusion Avenue.  They make quite a faithless community, don't cha think?
Well, I'm sick of having a residency there.  I don't make annual resolutions but I am declaring going forward to live out a more fearless life.  That's my word for 2013 (and really the rest of my life).   Now I know fears will come up, but to be controlled by them and allow them to replace God's gifts of power, love, and a sound mind is what I'm not having.  I also know that Satan and his henchmen will constantly try to rehash lies and pull my mind back to the old community of thoughts (described above) that leave no room for truth. And I can't give all the credit to Satan, yes I have a role in my own distress.  In the mind we can create a heaven or hell for ourselves. I've got to work at keeping my mind filled with things that are true and good and continue to capture thoughts making them obedient to Christ. 
So just what is my grand plan for living out a fearless lifeBeing more specific in my prayers and utilizing  SCRIPTURE.   Reading them, writing them, memorizing them, praying over them, and reciting them out loud on all occasions.

Fearless Scriptures I feed on:
"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind"
2 Timothy 1:7 KJV

"Let not your hearts be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me." John 14:1

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 ESV

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me..." Psalm 23:4 ESV

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  Philippians 4:6 ESV

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 ESV

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV

I made this decision a few weeks ago and I'm just now blogging about it.  God has been very true to his promise to never leave or forsake, to never let me be snatched out of his hands. My church family has rallied around me in prayers and continue to send me encouraging emails.  In striving to strengthen my walk, God has used me and given me opportunities to share his Word with best friends, family members, coworkers, and sometimes total strangers, which all enriches my faith as well (Romans 1:11-12). 
Trust and believe that Word of God is "alive and active" (Hebrews 4:12) and it is helping me to live out a fearless life one breath at a time.

8 comments:

  1. You just spoke a word right here in this post and I didn't even have to get off my couch. That's a great word to be, fearless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm striving every moment, like the song says "I Need Thee Every Hour". Glad you were touched by His truth.

      Blessings,

      Patrice

      Delete
  2. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 ESV


    This scripture is what I needed today! Thanks Patrice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the God of all Wisdom..I don't have to worry about how He will do it, I just need to trust that He can and that He will do what is NEEDED

      Delete
  3. Very Good Post! Thinking & Speaking positive thoughts, allowing God to rule over me and not allowing fear to overtake me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that God used the words 'Fear not' 365 times in the Old Testament. Isn't that awesome Patrice? That means that God, so loving, knew that this world of ours will get to the place where he would have to assure us EACH DAY that we had no need to fear!

    You nailed it, one of the best antidotes to fear is God's word cos it boosts our faith so much. It boosts our Faith. Faith trumps fear all the time.

    As you stand on the promises of God in your life, may the peace of God overwhelm you in Jesus name. Amen! Thanks for a refreshing and uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that I have found your blog. YOU JUST SPOKE TO MY SOUL AND GAVE ME LIFE….GOD USED YOU AS his vessel. I am 31 and I still HATE the dark, I hate when my husband goes on travel because I feel like I'm home alone and the boogie man is going to get me… I really do feel this way- but according to GODs scripture, I have no reason to fear any of these worldly things- because he is with me, he has me. I really enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing this wonderful word of GOD.

    xoxo
    Maya D

    ReplyDelete